Fair Housing for Landlords
Live class earns 3 hours real estate CE credit (Course #814) also open to public.
Class topics and included forms listed below. Live classes include time for Q&A. Video purchasers can call or write with their questions.
- Protected groups and what landlords are exempt
- Disabilities, including emotional support animals, hoarding, PTSD, former drug addiction and criminal records or low credit scores, and dangerous behavior with mental illness
- The RIGHT way to "push back" against suspected fraudulent emotional support animal claims
- Common traps related to religious discrimination
- Undocumented aliens
- Sex discrimination including LGBTQ
- Avoiding liability for employee or vendor sexual harassment of tenants
- Familial Status--not everything people claim it is
- Occupancy limits
- Seniors-only housing
- Selective enforcement of multiple tenant defaults
- New HUD rules regarding criminal background
- Guidance regarding Limited English Proficiency situations
- Fair Housing complaint process
- Insurance to protect against Fair Housing complaints (Hint: most landlords don't have this insurance!)
Forms (in MS Word)
- Animal Addendum that also applies to disability animals
- Response to Request for Emotional Support Animal
- Response to Request for Premises Modification
- Suggested Criminal Background Policy
- Policy Statement for Persons with Limited English Proficiency.
Great Class!! Looking forward to next year's class already!
Great Class! Looking forward to next year's class already!
Denise provided great examples through her experiences that will most definitely aid in my knowledge of landlord/tenant law! Will look forward to taking her class again.
Great Class! Denise provided great examples through her experiences that will most definitely aid in my knowledge of landlord/tenant law! Will look forward to taking her class again.
EXCEPTIONAL! Obviously, following fair housing laws is important. Denise has the teaching ability to show you the nuances that help in doing just that.